- a bunch of tomatoes quartered or halved (~8 plum or 4 big hothouse)
- 1 big onion quartered or 3 small ones quartered
- 5 - 7 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- a large can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups of broth (chicken or veg)
- 1 cup of cream or half and half
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter
salt and pepper
Turn your oven to 300 and spread the tomatoes, onions and garlic onto a large sheet pan. Toss with the olive oil, lots of salt and pepper, and spread in a layer on the sheet pan. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. When done, squeeze the garlic out of their skins into a pot along with all the tomatoes, onions and juices and place over a medium heat. Add the broth, crushed tomatoes, dried basil and oregano and half the bunch of fresh basil. Let simmer for ~20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Take the pot off the heat and using an immersion blender (or food processor) blitz everything together. Once everything is well blended, add the cream and sugar and return to a low heat. After it is gently heated, add the butter and serve, using the rest of the basil to garnish.